Would you like to attend 44CON but don’t have the means to make it happen?
We realise that not everyone has the means to fund their own conference attendance. In partnership with our sponsors, we’ve launched an assistance program to provide the opportunity to attend 44CON to those who wouldn’t be able to come otherwise.
Thanks to our friends Microsoft and Google, there are 9 assistance tickets available for 44CON 2018. Seven have been provided by Microsoft and two by Google.
There was a huge amount of interest in the 2018 assistance tickets and all have now been awarded. As such the 2018 Assistance application process is now closed.
We are pleased to announce that the first Assistance Sponsor for 44CON 2019, sponsoring two tickets, is Wire Security bvba. Watch this space for details of the 2019 assistance program and application process.
What’s included in 2018?
- Access to the full conference starting on Wednesday 12th from 18:00 and finishing around 16:30 on Friday 14th September, including lunch.
- Private, en-suite Hotel accommodation including breakfast for Wednesday 12th and Thursday 13th September 2018 at the conference venue.
- Transport is not included by default, but we can try to help facilitate travel assistance on a case-by-case basis for those that need it.
Who is eligible for an assistance ticket?
We want to attract people from underprivileged backgrounds for whom attending 44CON would open up opportunities to enter industry in ways otherwise inaccessible to them. To that end, we’ve split our selection process into two parts, criteria and priorities.
Our selection criteria for the tickets are:
1. Facing financial constraints that would make attending 44CON prohibitively expensive
2. Not yet in, but ready and actively looking to move into highly skilled security roles
3. Facing more than 2 hours travel to London by train
Meeting at least one of the criteria is mandatory. If any these criteria apply to you, please do apply!
In order to keep things fair, we have a set of priorities. This is to ensure that we don’t end up providing tickets to people from a single group identity, or that people are unfairly left out because of it.
Priority will be given based on the following (in order):
- Registered Disabled
- Referral to a foodbank in the last 6 months
- Those from groups underrepresented in industry
By underrepresented groups, we specifically refer to (in no particular order):
- Women, including those who identify as women
- Final year students of any identity, orientation or gender
Note that being part of an underrepresented group is not a requirement for an assistance ticket, simply that priority is given to those who are underrepresented over those who are not.
How do I apply?
The application process for the 2018 assistance program is now closed. Details of the 44CON 2019 assistance program will be posted here and announced via the 44CON newsletter.
This is our first attempt at providing an assistance programme, consequently we expect to make mistakes (and learn from them for next time). However, we’d like to thank the following people without whom this programme would not happen:
Christa Anderson at Microsoft, Sarah Morales and Chris John Reilly at Google, Jahmel Harris and Saskia Coplans at Digital Interruption/Manchester Grey Hats, Phyushin, Kim and of course, various members of the 44CON Crew.
The fine print:
- Successful applicants will be required to affirm in writing that comments describing how selection criteria and priorities apply are a true and accurate reflection of their circumstances. Should applicants be found to be untruthful, the assistance ticket will be revoked, offered to another applicant and the individual will be banned from all future events.
- Check in at the IBIS Earls Court is from 2pm on Wednesday 12th September, check out is by noon on Friday the 14th of September.
- If you do not arrive on the 12th of September and do not notify the hotel to that effect, the reservation may be forfeit and no refund will be due to the sponsor. The hotel may allocate the accommodation elsewhere. Unfortunately 44CON have no control over this process.
- Assistance tickets are not transferable.
- Attendance to the event is subject to the 44CON house rules.